Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Mermaid Mirror

Mermaid mirror

I'd like to show you the project I worked on at the end of the summer: a mermaid mirror- or at least, that's what I call it!

The impetus for this project came from my youngest sister, Lorelei who when my husband and I went to Hawaii earlier this year, requested a "Hawaiian mirror" (I think It's so cute that she called it that!). Well, I looked and looked for such a mirror in every shop we visited, but with no luck.

When I came home from our vacation, I decided that I would make a mirror instead, and how perfect that it would be her birthday in September!


Materials

I was able to gather all of the materials I needed for about $20- not bad! I found the mirror at a thrift store for $2, most of the seashells at Treasures Antique Mall for about $13  (This mirror was featured on their blog! Click here to check it out), and the pearls and large fan shells at Hobby Lobby for about $5. 

Mid-project mess

I used hot glue to secure everything in this project (great, but messy stuff). I started by lining the inner rim of the mirror in tiny shells from a shell necklace, then I positioned the larger shells on the top and bottom, after which I covered the rest of the rim in the remaining shells. A T-square helped me center the larger shells. 

Backside

Since some of the shells were placed beyond the border edge on the bottom, I decided to make this a hanging mirror. My husband and I went to the hardware store to buy some hooks, wire and rubber bumpers to keep the frame away from the wall. Also, I covered the old speckled-gold mirror in cute polka dot washi tape- much better!

Shell detail



When it was all done I was very pleased with the way it turned out. Now to wrap it up and give it to Lorelei. Hope she likes it!


Happy birthday Lorelei!






No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...